Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 1 - Who am I?

In observance of Lent this year, I decided to participate in a 40-day photo challenge organized by Rethink Church. Every morning, I receive an email with a word and accompanying devotion. It is simple and short but always inspiring. My task is to then take a picture showing what the word means to me. I want to do more than that, though. It will be difficult to record in my journal so I figured I would try this. If you would like to try participate, you can find information here:
http://rethinkchurch.org/lenten-challenge Day 1 – Who am I?



Who am I?
Fear. Last week my crossfit coach told me something I knew was coming but dreaded hearing: “You’re not lifting heavy enough. You’re not lifting up to your potential. You want to lose weight and grow stronger; lifting heavy is the only way you’re going to accomplish that.” I started weightlifting with barbells back in August but a couple of months ago decided to lift lighter so I could work on my form. I got so comfortable in my self-imposed box that I didn’t want to lift heavier and actually feared pushing myself to do what my body is capable of doing. Fear of weight is a common denominator in many aspects of my life. I don’t mind weight, as long as it is something I like…. hich means I don’t like weight. Not REAL weight. Not weight that threatens to push me down and make it difficult to perform a function. Weight is hard. Carrying it around is painful and makes us do things differently. We have to fight to carry it. But weight makes us strong. Challenges are given to us for a reason. It is up to me to step out of my comfort zone, carry that weight (without complaining, something with which I struggle on a daily basis) and grow in whatever way I am meant to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment