Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jack & Oscar


I miss Jack and Oscar.  Riding along the greenway yesterday, seeing dogs who had been swimming in the river reminded me of my gentle big boy who loved to swim and did so any chance he got, whether or not I agreed.  This afternoon, driving by my neighbors and seeing their giant Great Dane standing the front yard reminded me how much Oscar loved playing with big dogs and never missed an opportunity to explore and make new friends.  Today, I am at a coffee shop and I know both of them would have loved sitting in the warm sunshine with me and basking in the attention their adorable selves always brought.  

They taught me more about life and myself than I ever thought possible.  There were rough years when I didn’t have an identity.  I didn’t know who I was.  Liking myself was something I had to learn to do but loving myself?  Well, that seemed impossible.  They showed me true love at a time when I didn’t know what that was.   They were the embodiment of God.  Here are some things I learned during my time as the leader of their pack:

·Everyone deserves to feel love.



·A good cuddle makes everything better.

·Never pass up an opportunity to explore.

·Do what makes you happy.


·Listen more than you talk.


·Don't be afraid to open yourself to others.


·Be patient (with yourself and others). 


·Know your boundaries but never be afraid to push them.

   ·Know who your true friends are and keep them close.


·No person or animal is alike.  Get to know them for who they are and meet them where they are, not where you want them to be.

·There is a reason behind how people and animals behave.  If you can’t   understand the reasons, be willing to look for them. 

·It's okay to be lazy sometimes.

·Figure out your God-given gifts and use them to help others as much as possible.

·Whenever possible, ride with the windows rolled down.  If it messes up your hair, that’s even better.

 ·Showing love doesn’t require education, money or fancy words.  All you need is to be present.




·Sometimes having fun means getting dirty.  Cleaning up afterward isn’t always pleasureable, but it is worth it. 
·Think outside the box.
·Be brave. 





·Fight for who and what you love.  

·Approach everything with enthusiasm.


·Sometimes you have to use your heart instead of your head when making important decisions.  Sometimes it is the opposite.   Figuring out which to use can be gut-wrenching.


·You need to be able to take care of yourself before you can take care of someone else.
 
Being their human was sometimes a struggle, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.   My heart hurts without them but I know it only means it is preparing itself to love another furry soul, one day when we are ready for another dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment